The Portland Works project is a group of tenants and supporters, all volunteers, who are ensuring the survival of one of Sheffield’s great buildings by community purchase and social ownership.
Portland Works, built in 1877, is one of the earliest surviving examples of an integrated metal trades complex. It is a Grade II* listed building, which in 1913 became the first place in the world to manufacture stainless steel cutlery – see History.
Remarkably, it still does what it was built for – offering low-cost workshop space to small manufacturing businesses and independent artists and craftspeople. You’ll find here metalworkers, engineers and craftsmen, furniture makers, artists and musicians. They are a cross section of talent following in the footsteps of the ‘Little Mesters’ who made Sheffield famous.
- Name: Portland Works Little Sheffield Limited
- Registration: https://mutuals.fsa.gov.uk/SocietyDetails.aspx?Number=31143&Suffix=R
- Website: http://www.portlandworks.co.uk/
- Email: email@example.com
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/PortlandWorks
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/saveportlandworks/